Fireproofing furniture

Guest Marcin Czwordon

Guest Marcin Czwordon

Hi, I'm interested in importing hardwood furniture from Poland to be sold to public and retailers in the UK.

Could you let me know what are the fireproof requirements for things like drawer chests, dining chairs, wardrobes, etc?

Do I need to cover the imported furniture with some special fireproof fluid?

Please advise in detail.

Thank you,

To my knowledge upholstered furniture is the only furniture subject to fire regulation I cannot imagine trying to ignite a substantial piece of hardwood with a small ignition source like a cigarette end or match. Therefore if you import upholstered items you will need to conform to the Furniture and Furnishings (Fire Safety) Regulations 1988 (as amended in 1989 and 1993).

For more information go to http://www.fira.co.uk/ and http://www.firesafe.org.uk/furniture-and-furnishings-fire-safety-regulations-19881989-and-1993/

• 1 month later...

Hello,

We are a furniture manufacturer in need of help to determine what steps we need to take to ensure all of our furniture is in compliance with state,and laws regarding fire safety. I would very much appreciate your help in this

matter.

Thank you,

You need The Furniture Industry Research Association (FIRA) they are the undisputed experts in this field and if you manufacture upholstered furniture you should be a member. You can also check out http://www.firesafe.org.uk/furniture-and-furnishings-fire-safety-regulations-19881989-and-1993/ which you may find useful.

• 3 months later...
Guest juneTelf

I have self covered/re-upholstered a Chesterfield Chair and wonder if I need a Fire Cert to sell on to private buyers or to retail? Could I self certificate or what process what I need to follow to obtain a certificate?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Hi June

I would suggest you contact either the Trading standards, who are the enforcing authority or The Furniture Industry Research Association (FIRA) who may be able to advise you. The problem is a re-upholster running a business and charging a fee is certainly subject to the regulations. A DIY project is a different matter and I would expect s/he would ensure it conform s the standards for the sake of the users but when it comes to selling the item later that confuses the matter even more because without the permanent label it could be illegal.

The Furniture Industry Research Association then go to FIRA Publications then Flammability guides and then Domestic Flammability Standards.

Contact the local Trading Standards Department they should be able to help.