Smoking area near gas meter

Guest PaulJar

Guest PaulJar

I am working for an organisation that is in the process of building new premises. For many good reasons, the designated smoking area (not an enclosed or covered space, merely a hatched 'box' painted on the ground) is to be located at the centre of the rear elevation. However, we have just learned that the gas meter enclosure is also to be sited in approximately the same place. Is there any reason why we should consider relocating the designated smoking area?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Regards

Paul

The guidance HSG168 Fire safety in construction recommends you conduct a fire risk assessment and the first consideration is to prevent fire starting. To identify possible sources of fire you need to locate, sources of fuel, ignition sources and oxygen (air). There is a small possibility there could be a leak in the area of the gas meter, guys smoking and lighting up and plenty of oxygen, next the big bang, (and I am not talking about the start of the universe) consequently I would suggest you move the smoking area as far away from meter area or other sources of fuel as you can.

Will this area eventually be enclosed if so why not locate it to an area which will be open air when the premises are completed?