Fire exit windows with locks?

Guest henryK

Guest henryK

I would appreciate some advice or a recommendation as to where I can get further assistance. My insurance company is insisting that all ground floor windows have key operated locks. We have double glazed windows fitted approx 3 years ago and they have said that they do not supply key operated locks for fire safety reasons, ie. fire exit. Who is correct?
Thanks

The ADB clearly accepts locks and child stays on escape windows in domestic premises which I think is acceptable. In non domestic premises keys usually in glass fronted boxes are a strict no. no because of the number of people involved, the wrong key in the box or covered in metal foil which is likely to create serious problems.

In domestic premises they would be of last resort and the keys are most likely to be in the lock, number of people will be small and the head of the household is likely to ensure the windows are available, for normal use if nothing else. Reliable fire detectors should ensure the principle MoE will be available if needed, so escape windows are a last resort but still necessary.

• 2 years later...
Guest LizMa

I work for a fostering agency and we have foster carers who have a fire window fitted in one of the bedrooms where a child sleeps. Are they able to put locks or restrictors on such windows as the child has been threatening to jump out of his window so we need to safeguard him and somehow prevent the windows from opening but so they are still easily accessible in the event of a fire. Please can you advise. Thanks

• 10 months later...
Guest Tracey

I had windows fitted approx, 10m ago in an upstairs childs bedroom. The night locks didn't fit and work properly and we were told that according to fire regulations they are not allowed to fit windows with a night catch lock any more. Anyone heard anything about this? Wondering if I've been given wrong information.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

How can it be right that we can fit locks an district order to fire escape windows upstairs in a dwelling house but the maximum height of 1100mm is critical and can’t be any higher seems like madness to me if the windows locked I don’t get out if it’s 20mm to high breaks building regs but I get out alive 

If you have a lock with a removable key then it should be available for use if required, mine I keep in the lock. I would imagine the height is based on what is considered a high window cill (bathroom for instant) but once set, do you allow a tolerance, which ADB doesn't, then it is left up to the enforcing officer and some, I am afraid, are code huggers.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest Joyce Lawson

We bought a new built house in 2018. One upstairs fire safety window lock has stuck on locked, and cannot be opened.

Does the builder still have a responsibility to repair this?

• 3 weeks later...