Easy to open doors

Guest StephenTind

Hi Stephen

I guess you are after a solution for a fire door, which should in theory always stay closed but poses problems for people in wheelchairs and with zimmer frames.

There are two solutions I am aware off:

1. Keep the door open legally with a fire door retainer to make movement through the fire door opening easier. Here two retro-fitting examples:
    1. http://www.safelincs.co.uk/dorgard-fire-door-retainers/
    2. http://www.safelincs.co.uk/freedor-wireless-free-swing-fire-door-closer/
  2. If you need the door closed for privacy or temperature/draught control you need a door operator instead. One model is here http://www.safelincs.co.uk/easydor-door-operator-and-closer/ but there are mains powered versions available in the market as well.

The esydor is charged by other users using the door like an ordinary door, while wheelchair users just press a button

Harry

• 2 weeks later...
Guest StephenT

Dear Harry

Thanks for the information. The easydoor is such a great idea, but it's price puts it way beyond most sheltered accommodation. I am currently working to try and reduce the force required to operate the existing door, which has a Gaze TS4000s on it. I have spoken to the company engineers, but with the information they have given me I have not managed yet to reduce the force significantly. The closer is already set to it's minimum force, but is still significantly heavier than with the previous closer. I am aware that there needs to be an 18Nm closing force, but how on earth do I know how much that is - what does 18Nm feel like? is there some kind of pressure gauge that will allow me to test the force required cheaply and easily?

Thanks Stephen

Hi Stephen

To cheque your door closer torque (in Nm or 'Newton metres')):

1) Measure the distance from your door handle axis/spindle to the end of the door leaf on which the door hinges are fitted. Let say this is 0.915m

2) Get a spring balance or similar, fix it to the handle (close to the axis) and pull the door open. Take a reading in kilograms (eg 2kg). Multiply this figure with 10 to get the force in Newton (here 20N).

3) Multiply your distance with the spring force (0.915m x 20N) which gives you the torque in Nm. (Here 18.3Nm)

The torque will vary depending form the position of the door, however, if you measure as stated above, the measurement will relate to the effort it takes a person to open the door which can be hard for elderly people.

Kind Regards

Harry