Locked fire door for security reasons

Guest Dee

Hi,I walk in a large technical site which has 3 designated fire doors which are also used as a daily entrance/exit doors.

As the place I work is a technical site,security is of the upmost importance and entry is strictly limited and entrance is by way of a card.

One of the doors has developed a fault which means it does not automatically lock,this is being investigated,but meanwhile it has been manually locked.

My query is whether this falls foul of the law,I will state there are 2 other exits closer to the offices.

Hi Dee

I assume you mean these doors are three fire exits doors rather than fire doors (fire exit doors do usually not have to be fireproof doors)? I would assume that the number of fire exits was determined when the building was designed, so must have been deemed necessary in the first place.

I would therefore assume that the company has to take compensation steps to overcome the impact of the failing exit door, eg by not using part of the building and/or prepare alternative exits.

Another solution would be to add a push bar to the faulty exit door. The door can then still act as exit, even though nobody could enter (as long as there are no other locking mechanisms).

Harry