Landlord forbids me to lock my door from the inside!

Guest DuniBr

Guest DuniBr

Hi,

I just moved into a room in a shared house and noticed that I cannot lock my room door from the inside. After asking my land lady she explained to me that due to fire regulations she is not allowed to have locks on the inside of the door. I am wondering if this is correct as I am living in a shared house with males and ‘strangers’ and I think this would pose a security and safety risk. I have done a bit of research and I can find some evidence to say that as long as the door is not locked with a key it should be okay. But I need solid evidence from the correct legislation. I asked my landlord for the papers that prove that I am not allowed to lock the door from inside and she has not provided them. So far she says she has not been able to find them. Can you please help me out with this issue? Would I be able to have some concrete evidence so that I can sort this out please?
Many thanks for your help.

Duni (Miss)

The national guidance accepted by all fire and rescue services is "HOUSING – FIRE SAFETY Guidance on fire safety provisions for certain types of existing housing" download and check out page 18 which states,

16.2 It is strongly recommended that the exit door from each unit of accommodation (bedsit or flat) is also openable from the inside without the use of a removable key.
As you can see it says openable from the inside not the outside.