Do loading bay shutters have to be closed in case of fire?

Guest Tom

What is the procedure of when there is a fire and the loading bay shutter doors are open? Do we close them to prevent more oxygen feeding the fire? If you could give me some advice that would be much appreciated.

Providing there are normal standard doors in close proximity and capable of allowing all the people that would need to use them to escape then I would suggest you close them for security reason if nothing else, restricting the flow of oxygen to the fire I think it's not going to make much difference.

• 2 years later...

This would be acceptable providing the roller shutter door is in the open position during the time the premises is occupied and preferably secured in the open position. There should be a management procedure to ensure that the management can be assured that the roller shutter is open at all the required times. In cinemas they quite oftenly use chain to secure the push bar fire exits during the time the premises are unoccupied but first thing each day the chains are removed and hung on a chain board in the manager's office so at a glance he/she can be assured that the fire exits are available.