Leaseholders force us to pay for weekly fire alarm tests

Guest Silas

Guest Silas

Hi there, i live in a flat (one of 3) the lease holders are testing the fire alarm every week at great cost to us, they insist its law and has to be done this many times a year, yes 52 times a year!!! i am disputing this and have found info on your website that testing the alarm every 6 months would be minimal legal requirement, is this the case.(we have asked for tests every 4 months)

Many thanks

Silas

Check out http://www.firesafe.org.uk/fire-alarms/ there is a section named Inspection and Servicing which details the servicing for fire alarms. I would be surprised if the weekly test is applicable to your premises but it may and I would have to know more details.

• 7 months later...

Our small but very well maintained apartment block is in a similar position to 'Silas'. The managing agent says we have to have alarms tested weekly(at our cost, of course) . We have discussed this at our owners' meeting and we are in agreement that one responsible person (one of us) could be trained and then carry out theweekly tests when all occupiers are in and can confirm they can hear alarm, etc. this seems much more sensible than a stranger arriving when everyone is out, no decibel levels can be confirmed and then charging an astronomical amount! We welcome your thoughts.

The weekly test only applies to manual call points (MCP) and is usually carried out by the the occupants of the premises. Each week a different MCP is tested, using a special tool that operates the MCP without the need to break the glass. A person located at the control panel silences the alarm, after he/she has ensured it has worked correctly and then resets the system. If any of the occupants doesn't hear the alarm, then the reason needs to be investigated.

I cannot see any reasons why the tenants couldn't be trained in this procedure.