Can I paint fire doors?

Guest Gunj

I have a property that I let out to students. i am refurbishing the house and I would like to paint the fire doors as they have some marks on them. The fire doors are plain wood with no paint on. Can I use any paint to paint the doors or do i need to use a special paint?

Many thanks,

Fire door leaves are generally not required to provide a specific surface spread-of-flame barrier, and may therefore be decorated as desired.

There is no evidence to suggest that over painting of intumescent seals has any detrimental effect on the ability of the seals to perform efficiently. There are some benefits in over painting the seals as they are less likely to absorb atmospheric moisture. However, there are limits on how much paint can be applied without there being a risk of the seal being rendered inoperative. It is recommended that over painting be limited to a maximum of five coats of conventional oil-bound paint or varnish. When preparing a frame for redecorating, the use of heat or chemical strippers should be avoided if intumescent seals are incorporated. If seals are damaged by either of these processes, they should be replaced. If glazing beads have been painted with intumescent paint, it is essential that they be repainted with a similar paint.

• 2 years later...

Fire door leaves are generally not required to provide a specific surface spread-of-flame barrier, and may therefore be decorated as desired. There is no evidence to suggest that overpainting of intumescent seals has any detrimental effect on the ability of the seals to perform efficiently. There are some benefits in overpainting the seals as they are less likely to absorb atmospheric moisture. However, there are limits on how much paint can be applied without there being a risk of the seal being rendered inoperative. It is recommended that overpainting be limited to a maximum of five coats of conventional oil-bound paint or varnish. When preparing a frame for redecorating, the use of heat or chemical strippers should be avoided if intumescent seals are incorporated. If seals are damaged by either of these processes, they should be replaced.

• 3 months later...
Decoration
Fire door leaves are generally not required to provide a specific surface spread-of-flame barrier, and may therefore be decorated as desired. There is no evidence to suggest that overpainting of intumescent seals has any detrimental effect on the ability of the seals to perform efficiently. There are some benefits in overpainting the seals as they are less likely to absorb atmospheric moisture. However, there are limits on how much paint can be applied without there being a risk of the seal being rendered inoperative. It is recommended that overpainting be limited to a maximum of five coats of conventional oil-bound paint or varnish.
When preparing a frame for redecorating, the use of heat or chemical strippers should be avoided if intumescent seals are incorporated. If seals are damaged by either of these processes, they should be replaced
in accordance with manufacturers instructions.
If glazing beads have been painted with intumescent paint, it is essential that they be repainted with a similar paint.

• 7 years later...
Guest David

My mother has a flat with fire doors. They have been painted but smell very toxic even after a year after moving in. If painted with fire door paint could this be dangerous to her health? 

Thanks in advance

• 1 month later...