Mrs

Guest Saraj

Guest Saraj

Hi. Advice needed please. My local Leisure Centre has a main hall with 3 double door emergency exits . These doors are kept locked so the push bar system doesn’t open them. I think this is illegal??? However the  doors are connected to the centres fire alarm system so when the alarm is sounded the doors unlock automatically and the push bars operate normally opening outwards when pushed. My concern is in the event of a non fire emergency and evacuation is needed members wouldn’t be able to evacuate causing panic. The hall isn’t in the sight range of main reception.

You are correct that the exit doors should be panic proof in all situations - the preferred system is delayed action panic bolts - press the bar, an alarm sounds and after 15 seconds the door releases (seen in any Costcos).

The situation you describe is very common yet rarely picked up as an issue, my worry is it will take a real incident for people to take notice.