Fire Blankets

Hi All,

I have responsibility for a large number of buildings that have what I would call a kitchenette. They have tea and coffee making facilities with a microwave and a toaster. There is no open flame cooking such as a hob and neither are there any deep fat fryers etc. I have been asked if they need fire blankets as they are kitchens. My instinct is that we take a risk based approach to this and when you consider the type of fires you are likely to encounter and the types of fires a blanket is designed to combat it isn't necessary. I can't find anything specific for fire blankets so am reaching out to you folks for advice.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

If you are selling them or don't know any better, then a sink and a kettle is a 'kitchen' and needs a fire blanket even when no risk exists where it would be practical, As long as there is suitable provision of extinguishers safe on electrical equipment nearby you would be fine.

What I'm saying is that you don't - there is no risk for which they suit. The only reason you see them where there are no frying appliances or hobs (in some situations just a sink & kettle) is the sales tactics of some service companies or end users not knowing any better.