Re-lipping FD30 door

Guest Jamie

Guest Jamie

I'm working for a client that has a 1930mm frame which needs to accommodate a 1981mm door for the purposes of an HMO conversion.

The frame and lining are constructed from a solid material, that is compliant.

What's the best thing to do here? The client does not like the options of "made to measure doors" and prefers the options available at 1981mm.

Is the recommended method:

1) Cut solid core door to size and add a 12mm hardwood lipping to the bottom edge (so that at least 6mm of lipping thickness remains after the intumescent rebate is added), fixed with urea glue. Does the veneer facing have to be maintained here?

2) Cut solid core door to size and router out a 12mm deep rebate and try to preserve the veneer facing, glue in 12mm hardwood lipping.

I'm guessing these are the only options I have available. 1) may look unsightly and 2) is time consuming and might not be possible.

Better to change the door frames to suit the new doors.

If that's not possible either order custom made fire doors from a competent supplier or if you have the necessary knowledge, skills and experience you could purchase fire door blanks and fabricate the doors yourself in accordance with it's relevant technical manual.