Jump to content

Industrial Kitchen Detections in the UK


Recommended Posts


I was wondering to find out if the licenced premises with an industrial kitchen need any detection and warning systems.

I have been reading some publishings online and I remember they were saying “Every shop with an industrial kitchen needs some sort of fire detection and alert system”.

Can any of you confirm this is correct? If yes is it mandatory? I could not find it on the Regulatory Reform Order 2005 or on the Shops Guide by the Government.

Thank you for your time and support.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

It depends on the size and layout of the premises. A really small building (like a lock up takeaway with a small counter space and adjacent kitchen) may need nothing (unless underneath a flat/flats without 60 minutes fire separation), but larger places of assembly up to 300 persons may need at least a Category M system of manual call points and sounders off a control panel.

You must by law have a written fire risk assessment for your premises carried out by a competent person - this will tell you exactly what you need in your circumstances.

Note that insurance requirements will differ from statutory ones and are often more onerous. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...