Can the fire door and frame have fire door seals?

Guest Eugene

Guest Eugene

I have a question about intumescent seals.A friend of mine gave me a fire door with 15mm grooves routed already on it. My door frame has got 10mm grooves routed already as well. So would it be appropriate if I have both door and frame fitted with itumescent seals, say door with a fire seal,frame with a fire and smoke seal, at the same time

If a fire doorset with intumescent seals in the grooves of both the door and the frame is subjected to the furnace test under BS 476: 22, the pressure exerted by the seals might be so excessive as to force the door open. This advice is from the Intumescent Fire Seals Association (IFSA), who recommend that one of the grooves be filled in. It is possible to purchase an empty plastic seal casing, which can be used as a filler; alternatively, for a timber doorset, a hardwood filler for the door or hard or softwood for the frame would be appropriate. For further advice and technical guidance visit: www.ifsa.org.uk

• 1 month later...

This will be determined by the test (BS 476 part 22), the test uses a fire door set which is the door and frame and the frame should be a similar specification as the test frame. However nowadays it is usually 12 mm rebates, the 25 mm rebates were under the part 8 test which is now redundant. Check out any documentation that accompanied the fire door.