Kitchen entry exit doors

tim1619

Hi all,

The kitchen in my rugby club has just undergone extensive refurbishment. There are 2 separate doors, neither of which has currently been designated or signed as a fire exit. I've been down and inspected the refurb and was concerned that both doors open inwards into the kitchen. I thought this was odd and the Operations manager said he would confer with the architect about why this has happened.

If the doors were to open outwards (in the direction of escape) one would open into the main bar area and one would open into the foyer which is where I suspect the majority would be exiting in the event of a fire. I thought the RRFSO was quite clear about emergency doors opening in the direction of escape with the word 'must'.

Thanks in advance

Tim

Tim

There's a heap of "where necessary' entries throughout the Fire Safety Order, including Article 14

Article 14(2) states

(2) The following requirements must be complied with in respect of premises where necessary (whether due to the features of the premises, the activity carried on there, any hazard present or any other relevant circumstances) in order to safeguard the safety of relevant persons—

--

--

(d)emergency doors must open in the direction of escape;

So where necessary, (60 + persons as Anthony has described) the door must open is the direction of escape