Inward opening door in bedroom to terrace

Leigh

I wonder if somebody could help, I have just built a one bedroom unit in the Georgian house in the basement I had ordered an inward opening tilt door but the builder installed an opening door which doesn’t tilt and therefore cannot give ventilation without the door being open.

I wonder if somebody could help, I have just built a one bedroom unit in a Georgian house in the basement I had ordered an inward opening tilt door but the builder installed an outward opening door which doesn’t tilt and therefore cannot give ventilation without the door being fully open.

I was told this was due to fire regs but there are numerous other escapes in the flat through the patio sliding doors and also out through the front door.

From the patio there are stairs leading to the garden and the side entrance to the road

Numerous other escapes in the flat through the patio sliding doors and also out through the front door.

Could somebody confirm the builder was correct  or could I have had an inward opening door and still be in line with or fire regs thank you 

Whilst outward opening doors are preferred, they are only mandatory for exit routes likely to be used by more than 60 persons.

From Section 3.94 of the current Building Regulations for dwellings (my italics):

Direction of opening

3.94 The door of any doorway or exit should be hung to open in the direction of escape whenever reasonably practicable. It should always be hung to open in the direction of escape if more than 60 people might be expected to use it during a fire.

As it's not used by the mandatory numbers and appears to affect the utility of the door its arguably not reasonably practicable to hang outwards.