Internal double fire doors in a home

Guest Statts

Guest Statts

Hi there, 

We have to fit a double set of 30 minute fire doors to our new kitchen as it off the hallway by the staircase, and the house has an attic room. However, building control have refused to provide any more information beyond this and I am struggling to understand the requirements of the regulations. We have found two period 30 minute doors (Deanta Kingston) that match the rest in the house and hope to have these fitted using a 30 minute fire rated door lining, hinges, latch and intumescent strip(s).  What I am finding difficult to understand is how we keep the doors securely closed without compromising their fire certification. I have manged to find a flush fitting door bolt that is fire rated, if fitted with an intumescent kit, but is this sufficient? Or do the doors have to also be rebated or fitted with a pair maker? Any advice would be much appreciated!

The doors should be latched and the slave leaf bolted.  The installation instructions for the door leaves will provide the information about whether the doors are suitable for a double leaf configuration and about the latch you need.

Edited by Neil ashdown
To provide additional info

• 3 weeks later...