Do I have to throw away armchairs for my holiday let?

Guest ElenaMac

Guest ElenaMac

I am preparing to let my holiday home, but have been advised that two armchairs bought in 1986 must be disposed of as they do not carry the fire safety labels. I would like to know whether it is possible to have the armchairs inspected, and if they meet the standard, whether I can keep them in my holiday home.

Thanks in anticipation.

Elena

Elena holiday lets are subject to the Furniture and Furnishings (Fire Safety) Regulations 1988 (as amended in 1989, 1993 and 2010) which means, as you have been advised, all upholstered furniture should carry fire safety labels. There is no way of knowing if the armchair would meet the necessary standards other than to contact the manufacturer who may have the documentation to prove the armchairs are legal but they only have to retain the records for 5 years so the chances of verifying the legality of these armchairs is pretty remote.

Check out http://www.firesafe.org.uk/furniture-and-furnishings-fire-safety-regulations-19881989-and-1993/ for more info.