Screw Size for Fire door hinge

Guest Billy

Guest Billy

Hi

if a fire door has hinges that are not marked to anything and the screws are No6, is this acceptable? I am aware all new hinges need to be 1935 certifire and screws should be No8 / 32mm, but if the screws are no6 on old unmarked steel hinges, should the screws be replaced for No8 ones ? 

thanks a lot 

From what you say I would assume that the fire door has no markings or label?   If it had/has you could consult the manufacturer's installation instructions or product data sheet for the door leaf and this will provide the specification for hinges.

For example, depending on the door core and/or door stiles material, the hinges may need to be No. 10 rather than No.8 and 40mm or 50mm instead of 30mm. 

So in terms of best practice, check whether the door has timber stiles or is just chipboard with hardwood lipping.  A look along the top edge of the door leaf or removal of any mortice lock/latch should reveal which.

If the door has timber stiles No. 8 x 30mm should be suitable but if it is solid chipboard throughout use No.10 x 50mm. For the door frame, the screws should not pass through the jamb to the other side and the screw heads should fit correctly in the recesses of the hinge blades. Also check that the middle hinge is central or above in door leaf height.

Guest Billy

Thanks for that Neil

so IF the current screws are No6 would you replace with No8s (or 10s if chipboard) or because its old doors can the No6s be left, or just recommend that if hinges are replaced / upgraded, to use No8s when replaced ?  

Guest Billy

hello, reply not seem to have worked, I`ll try again

Thanks Neil

so seeing as they are old doors with no labels or markings, should the No6 screws be changed for No8 screws, I cant find anywhere where it says No6 screws would be ok or strong enough to hold if the wood charred

thank you

Bill 

Personally, I would change them because the installation instructions for modern fire doors requires No.8 x 30  /   No. 10 x 40 or 50.  Also see section 2.3.9 'Hinges' at http://firecode.org.uk/Code_of_Practice_hardware_for_fire_and_escape_doors.pdf

Edited by Neil ashdown
Additional information