Jump to content

How can I fire retard beanbags?

Guest Jonmcg

Recommended Posts

Guest Jonmcg


I am looking for some advice please.

I am hoping to start making beanbags but the cover material is not match resistant. I have tried fire treatment solutions but none work on the material I am using. If I was to use a fire resistant liner with fire retardent polystyrene beans and included fire labels that stated that the "cover material was not match resistant but there was a fire proof interliner" will this cover me against the Fire Furnishing Regulations 1988?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What you are suggesting would go some way to meeting the standards required by the Furniture and Furnishings (Fire Safety) Regulations 1988 but unfortunately there are a number of if and buts. I would suggest you download the FIRA Domestic Flammability Guide which should answer all your questions and if you require further expert advice contact FIRA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 11 months later...


Please could you give me some information on the fire regs for bean bags. We are making quilted covers for them and I would like to know if we have to have every element (top and under fabrics) fire rated or if just the inner wadding would surfice??

Also, we will use FR rated beans, but does the fabric of the inside 'bags' that hold them need to be FR also??

Many thanks for your time.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 years later...
Guest RicardoLeon

I work in a residential unit for children and looking to purchase bean bag. our beds are BS 7177 standard, I am looking to see is BS 5852 or NFPA - 252 an equal standard for bean bags.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

NFPA 252: Standard Methods of Fire Tests of Door Assemblies I am not sure how this would help.

BS 5852 is the test for domestic furniture and includes bean bags under the Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations.

BS 7176: 2007 and BS 7177: 2008 – Upholstered furniture and mattresses is for commercial situations.

First I would ignore the American standard, and because it is a commercial situation you should be looking for a simple statement such as ‘The furniture shall comply with BS 7176: 2007 for Medium Hazard’ is a full and precise definition of requirements.

However BS 7176: 2007 Specification for resistance to ignition of upholstered furniture for non-domestic seating by testing composites uses the following for its fire tests,

· BS EN 1021-1: 2006 Furniture. Assessment of the ignitability of upholstered furniture Ignition source smouldering cigarette,

· BS EN 1021-2: 2006 Furniture. Assessment of the ignitability of upholstered furniture Ignition source match flame equivalent and

· BS 5852: 2006 Methods of test for assessment of the ignitability of upholstered seating by smouldering and flaming ignition

However BS 5852 is the fire test standard for FFFSR and cover all three tests plus you would have a permanent label to prove it meets the required standards. So I cannot see any reasons why BS 5852: 2006 shouldn’t be used and is partly compatible.

It may be worthwhile to check this out with FIRA and its flammability guides. http://www.fira.co.uk/publications/flammability-guides

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...