Is a fire alarm system & emergency lighting required to ground floor communal hallway for two apartments in Listed converted building?

halo01

Hi forum members, I would be grateful if you could advise on the following. 

A Grade II Listed Georgian house has been converted into three apartments (for over 50 years) with two on the ground floor and one on the upper floors. The upper floor apartment is accessed via an external staircase. 

The two ground floor apartments are accessed via a shared front door that leads to a small hallway with one apartment either side. Each is ground floor only and each have access to their gardens out the back. 

My question is whether a fire alarm system is required for the communal ground floor hallway and/or any emergency lighting? Further, are FD30 apartment doors required with self-closers? The current doors are original Georgian ones - not sure how the Listed building officer would feel if these are replaced. 

Many thanks for your help. 

You need a fire risk assessment by a competent person to decide this (by law you should have one already anyway!). The front doors are a problem (heritage doors can be upgraded to suit listed status, but just because the Building is listed doesn't mean all interior elements are - check the listing).

You might need an alarm (especially with the current doors), but then again you may be able to avoid this. The nature of the fire separation between ground and first floor would be a factor too.

I'd need to see it really - you might not need much but equally you might need loads too!