Wet Room AFD

Chris Allis

Hi All,

Just had an enquiry from a supported Living home about an action on their recent FRA. The action required heat detection to be fitted in the ground floor wet room to protect the electric hoist and to fit a FD30s Fire door to the room as well. In my opinion, this seems unnecessary as there are no combustible items within the room, the appliance is PAT tested and the electrical installation is within its test date. With the addition of a FD30s on the wet room complete with automatic closer, I feel this would impede access and egress and would then require a hold open device, otherwise the dreaded wedges would appear!

I would like your thoughts on this please as it doesn't feel right that the advice given is proportionate. 

The building is a converted 3 storey Victorian house with a L1 fire alarm system and is sprinklered. 

Thanks for reading!

Whilst it seems illogical I have had supported living & care homes that have received deficiencies notices requiring this very thing, usually resulting in an FD30S door, either kept latched shut when not in use or a free swing closer and in both cases a heat detector.

This has only been in places where some residents are severely impaired & the layout has been not the best.