Student accomodation thumb thurn on inside

Guest gartyDu

Guest gartyDu

With regard to a student accomodation job where we are charged with providing access control to 400 plus accomodation rooms.

The locking scenario is presently as follows:

The door latches closed with a handle on either side for entry/ egress There is also a thumb turn to secure the door from inside.

If trying to get out in an emergency the thumb turn needs to be unlocked before the student can use the door handle to get out.

This creates a dual action and as I understand it this does not comply with EN 179 for single action escape.

please can you clarify for me

Yes it does and states the handle should be designed to release the door in 1 second by a single hand operation only, not requiring a key or any other similar object. It should enable immediate exit from the inside at all times regardless of any auxiliary locking devices. Therefore it does appear not to comply with BS EN 179 2008, have you checked with the manufacturer.

I found the following leaflet http://www.ucl.ac.uk...Fire_TN_002.pdf which puts my previous advice in doubt so I checked out BS EN 179 again and realised it was talking about the locking device not the operating handle and there are many similar devices that are acceptable. Therefore I would suggest you check out the ten digit code which should indicate if it is suitable.

As you can see I am not sure about this I have tried to solicit other opinions on this matter with little success. What I would suggest you do is contact the manufacturer and establish if s/he will confirm it conforms to BS EN 179 2008. Then approach the enforcing authority, if its an alteration or new build then contact the local Building Control and confirm it is acceptable to them. If it is an occupied building then contact the local Fire Rescue Service (Fire Safety Department) and see if it is acceptable to them. Maybe contact both, with 400 units you cant afford to get it wrong.

• 3 years later...
Guest Chrissma

My daughter's student house has been burgled by entering an unsecure kitchen extension through a door into the main property via the connecting hallway. Can I install a thumb turn lock to this door so it can be locked when the house is empty-the door opens inward towards the kitchen so anyone who got in would not be able to open the door into the hallway. The landlord refuses as he says this is a fire exit route from the house rooms through the kitchen. This is not valid if the door is only locked when the building is empty but are there any issues if anyone (a burglar) happened to be locked in the kitchen and a fire broke out?

Are we discussing rim locks or dead locks and will it be possible to exit the premises with out the need of a key? How do you ensure this door will not be locked when the building is occupied especially at night? As for the burglar if he enters the building then why can he not exit the building by the same route? The fire safety order says you must consider relevant persons who are people who are legally in, or near to the building which would not include burglars, incidentally firefighters are not considered relevant persons.