Evacuation route not communal part

Guest Suz

I wonder if anyone can assist. I live on the ground floor of a block of flats, the front door is not inside it leads to the outside space and communal landscaping. The back of the property is a terrace and is separated by planters to the neighbours terrace and has been this way since it was built 15+ years ago. We are now being told that building management want to remove these planters to make it an emergency exit route. I own the full terrace as per my red line plan, it is not a communal space. Can anyone tell me if this is even legal? They are saying a risk assessment has now highlighted the issue but haven't provided any copies of it. Thank you 

If you own the land and there is no easement allowing others access for emergency or other purposes then they cannot legally do this - the fire regulations do not override property law in this instance. You could grant them a deed of easement to allow this for which you could charge a fee.

I'd ask to see the risk assessment as well.