Safety gates to staircases in dementia care homes

Guest RobertF

Guest RobertF

I would welcome your thoughts on the following scenario

I've recently been asked to look at an issue in a care home whereby a risk has been identified concerning residents with dementia being able to traverse the staircases (which serve as primary access and egress for staff and evacuation). At each level the 2nr stair and lift lobbies connect either side of the care home and is required as a throughfare to allow residents to access facilities etc at either sides. Due to the structural layout it is not feasible to enclose the stairs further with say fire doors directly at the head and feet. The simplest solution would be similar to a child gate at the head and the foot of each. I'm assuming that this could compromise evacuation in the event of fire therefore a hybrid/bespoke solution with mag lock linked to fire alarm may suffice. Does such a product exist and does anyone have any experience of this scenario?

Many thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RobertF

Thank you Tom

Yes it would seem that the day room facilities are either side of the staircase/lift lobbies and residents are free to move between unsupervised.

Kind regards

• 2 months later...