Foam filled dispaly items

Guest Graham

Hi, A bit of advice on regulations please. The company I work for supplies themed display props, often used in public display areas such as theme parks. We do not manufacture but import these items mostly from the USA. They are typically hand made and hand painted body casts that are foam filled with “rubberised”/outer skin and sometimes with a fabric covering. The products do not have any certification relating to combustible properties etc. but we are in discussions with them about this. In the interim we are considering spraying the fabric with flame retardant material as a way of reducing risk.

I am struggling to find what legislation is relevant to the supply and testing of these products. The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 appears to put the onus on the responsible person at the company using the products to reduce the risk and I guess this can be done by not using the products on an escape route/stair well etc. With Building regs Part B the products are not structural or linings so I cant see there are covered here.

Anyone point me in the right direction. Thanks