Safe storage of isopropanol

Guest John Mercer

Guest John Mercer

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help with this. I take water samples and part of the procedure is to spray the tap down with isopropanol (aka rubbing alcohol). I need to carry around 700ml in a plastic spray bottle and around a litre in the bottle provided to top it up with. So in total I am carrying around 1700ml in my van. I have got hold of a 15l metal can with closing clip which makes it very secure for carrying this in the back. I was going to hold the spray bottle and top up bottle in place with bubble wrap.  But now I'm wondering if actually that could be super dangerous, if my van catches light and this becomes a bomb. Can anyone help with this, thank you in advance?

I wouldn't worry too much it is highly flammable but so is petrol and you are carrying about 50 litres of that. The old petroleum regulations allowed you to carry 4 gallons of petrol in sealed metal containers so 2 litres is a relatively small amount but you need to ensure the containers are well secured in the van using a bracket or straps. You would also be wise to carry a fire extinguisher, a small dry power would be suitable. 

Apart from the flammable risk you also have an indigestion risk so you would be wise to do any decanting in the fresh air and ensure the back of the van is well ventilated to reduce the flammable/indigestion risks.