Timber decking as part of a car park roof

Guest Dave Haythornthwaite

The joys of fire risk assessment you thought you've seen everything and then... Did one the other day where at the end of the building there is a first floor decking area (say 80 m2) which forms part of the roof of a ground floor car park. Is there anything in the guidance /regs relating to this? My initial reaction is 30 minutes fire resistance etc

Hi Tom 

I have just had a thought because the area under the decking is open to one side and at both ends would this be seen as  a car port albeit for several vehicles ?  If this the case would it be approved as is? If so my concern switches to the upper side of the decking. It is accessed through a door at the end of a communal corridor would it be prudent for this door to be fire rated?

Regards

Dave

Looking at the image I can see why you are concerned but without detailed plans of the premises or/and a physical survey I cannot give an acceptable response and as you should know without a large amount of information it  is irresponsible to try.

If this area is part of the building, not an add on, then compartmentation should be consider and if the means of escape could be compromised the that needs serious consideration as this floor has little fire resistance,certainly not the minimum 30 minutes.