Upholstery not compliant to UK Fire Regulation supplied from EU

Guest Nicole

Guest Nicole

Hello! I was wondering if you could please help. My company has been supplied upholstery items that are not compliant to the UK Fire Regulation, under a contract with an EU supplier. Could you please advise where a formal complaint could be sent to? Im not sure if Trading Standards will deal with business to business matter. Thank you!

I am not a lawyer but I would think the EU supplier is not breaking th FFFSR as it does not apply to them but if you resell it you are.

I also think the Trading Standards are the enforcing authority and would not be intersted until the FFFSR has been broken.

What is the terms of your contract and does it stipulate all relevant items should comply with the FFFSR, I think you need the services of a contract lawyer.

Guest Nicole

Thank you very much for the quick reply! The contract does not mention FFFSR unfortunately. I'll try contacting Trading Standards to see their view. I would expect suppliers shipping to the UK territory to know the local regulation.

• 3 months later...

Tom's right, assuming the upholstery items are intended for the UK domestic market. If they are for the non-domestic market, the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 applies. In which case the fire services are the enforcement authority. Alternatively, you can check the website of MHCLG where you can download brochures which give advice on the FSO.