Installation of fire doors

Hi, I am getting a builder to replace some internal old timber doors with fire doors and let just say it isn't going well.

A few of questions:

1) He has replaced the flat door with a fire door, but as it was 5 cm too short he has added a piece of hardwood to make up the difference - is that allowed?

2) Should there be brushes at the bottom of the fire door (he has done strips on the sides and top)

3) Should building control be involved, or do the doors need to be certified/checked in some way once installed?

Finally does anyone know where I can quickly get bespoke 4 panel FD30s made - he screwed up and assumed the doors were standard sizes and is now trying to convince me that by painting it with intumescent paint they will meet requirements (even though they are not even 44mm thick).

Many thanks for any advice.

Nick Batchelor

"2) Should there be brushes at the bottom of the fire door (he has done strips on the sides and top)"

The door should restrict the passage of 'cold-smoke' in accordance with BS 476 part 31.1 or BS EN 1634-3. So either the gap at the threshold should be a maximum of 3mm or it can be 10mm max (generally, depending on door test evidence) but with a suitable threshold smoke seal brush fitted.

"3) Should building control be involved, or do the doors need to be certified/checked in some way once installed?"

You have an obligation to ensure the new fire doors you fit will meet the required standard for fire and smoke protection. This document may be useful https://www.local.gov.uk/sites/default/files/documents/fire-safety-purpose-built-04b.pdf