Stair lift

Guest SOS CO

Guest SOS CO

Hello

I've been asked if it's acceptable to install a stair-lift between ground and 1st floor of an existing block of flats (3 storeys in total, 18 units).

Current stair width is 930mm (wall to handrail)

Rail would be installed on bannister side and would narrow the stair width to 840mm

Stair lift when folded/ closed measures 410mm meaning opening to staircase of 520mm when it's not in use at either ground floor level or 1st floor landing.

Looking at ADB and various forums my typical response would be that's too narrow, however does a stay out policy influence this? Allow more flexibility? Should equality come in too?

Thanks in advance.

The staircase, as it stands, does not meet the minimum width of ADB therefore reducing in more, is unlikely to be acceptable. If this is is about evacuating any disabled person then you need to look at other solutions and I see this as a problem in all blocks of flats.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SOS CO

Thanks Tom, its for an elderly person on 2nd floor for ease of getting to her flat. I've now been told the chair itself would be stowed on the landing (2nd floor or Ground) when not in use. Meaning the track is the only issue on the stairs themselves so 840mm stair width is available. I know what you mean though this building was built some 70 years ago and therefore doesn't comply with the 1000m width in ADB so further reduction would i'm sure be frowned upon.

I'm just aware of equality and discrimination claims given shedule 4 of the equality act discusses reasonable adjustments relating to common parts.

The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 is all about Fire Risk Assessment and the guides are guides, there is nothing cast in stone. During the FRA the assessor has to consider many things, to decide if modifications can be allowed to the guidance and not all fire safety related. The assessor has to make his/her decisions based on risk assessment and if necessary defend it in court.

Without knowing all the necessary details it is impossible to give a definitive answer.