No Call points in Primary School

Guest Guest Ian

Guest Guest Ian

Hello, just looking for some opinions from professionals, I have recently visited a primary school to see a mate, this school is only single storey, there seems to be minimal fire detectors in there, about 4 spotted and NO red box things to break the glass and make alarm work, surely, in a school with dozens of children you would have the red boxes for raising alarm?? or does the fact its only one level make a difference? the caretaker said some top bod from the council came in and said it all met regs?? I dont remember seeing many places without the red boxes? 

Guest Guest Ian
On 09/03/2019 at 04:28, Guest Guest Ian said:

Hello, just looking for some opinions from professionals, I have recently visited a primary school to see a mate, this school is only single storey, there seems to be minimal fire detectors in there, about 4 spotted and NO red box things to break the glass and make alarm work, surely, in a school with dozens of children you would have the red boxes for raising alarm?? or does the fact its only one level make a difference? the caretaker said some top bod from the council came in and said it all met regs?? I dont remember seeing many places without the red boxes? 

small update, apparently a document called BB100 states if less than 160 pupils and single storey then raising alarm could be rotogongs or even hand bell?  got detectors in and a panel so why didnt they install call points ? 

Unless it is so small a shout, hand bell or similar can be heard clearly throughout the premises it should have an electrical manual fire alarm system of 'break glass' manual call points and alarm sounders.This has been a requirement of schools design for over 60 years. Schools used only during the school day and not for extra curricular uses and that aren't of the CLASP construction (a cheap modular construction type popular for local authority buildings in the 50's - 70's that allows for rapid fire spread through voids) don't usually require much if any detection but must have the call points. Usually the fire alarm and class change bell system were combined.

Ask to see the Fire Risk Assessment for the school and how it gets around the question of adequate means of fire detection & warning