Immersion water heater tanks

Guest Tridentfirepl

Guest Tridentfirepl

During a recent compartmentation survey (post refurb) in a hotel I noted that the 'immersion water heater tanks' (approx 150ltr tanks) were located on the escape routes and were not located in thier own compartment. I stated that they were a fire risk and should be enclosed in 30 minutes fire resistance as it is a sleeping accommodation. The appointed fire engineering/building control who drew up the fire strategy claimed they were not a fire hazard and not included in the fire strategy or FRA, despite DCLG guidance for sleeping accommodation stating heating appliances including water heaters should not be located on escape routes. Was I right to flag up the issues? If I had been carrying out an FRA of the building they would have formed part of my assessment. Just wondering what others opinions would have been?

Building control bodies have a chequered history of relaxing and overlooking things without suitable mitigation - just because they didn't object doesn't mean it's correct. I'd go off the FRA as that would be the most recent look at the building and that assessor would carry the can if wrong not the AI/BCO.

Stick to the guidance in your observations - if they choose not to implement them that's on their head not yours.