SmachR

Guest SmachR

I'm having problems interpreting fire regs for pet soft furnishings.  If I am making dog beds that are essentially filled cushions (filling meets fire regs) and my top cover is cigarette resistant but not flame proof - do I have to provide an interliner per schedule 3 or do these products fall into the "scatter cushion category" and are therefore exempt from flame proof regs and are good with no interliner due to cigarette resistance? They would therefore qualify as category D.

• 1 month later...

The situation regarding pet beds remains unclear. Discussions with enforcement officers regarding these products have indicated that they are outside the scope of the Regulations.  However, they would still be expected to comply with the General Product Safety Regulations and therefore the enforcement officers might expect any foam used in these products to be Schedule 1 compliant as detailed in the Regulations. However, it is important to note that only a court of law would be able to decide whether or not this is the case.

You could contact the enforcing authority, Trading Standards and see what they have to say.