Selling a leasehold flat - fire RA

EdCrouchy

Sorry if this has been answered before, I just wanted to check on my specific station.

I am selling my leasehold flat and have been asked to provide a fire risk assessment (and asbestos survey) for the communal areas to the buyer's solicitors. I'm keen to avoid unnecessary costs basically but want to do the right/best thing too.

Details on the property situation:

Victorian house divided into 3 flats - 2 flats (mine and another)share a communal hallway and staircase.
Landlords are a couple who do not live in the building
Management Company is very informal, made up of the owners of each flat.

Does anyone have any advice or guidance for this? Who is responsible and how best to go about the RA if we are responsible?

Thanks in advance.

The building is subject to The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005  and study it to decide who the Responsible Person is (article 3 ) and it is then who are responsible for conduction the Fire risk Assessment. If the management company has been legally set up then it is them if not it would be the owners/freeholder.

Because of your apparent lack of knowledge I would suggest you consider using a fire risk assessor, check out A Guide to Choosing a Competent Fire Risk Assessor and A Guide to Choosing a Competent Fire Risk Assessor.

Then you and the other tenants as the managing agents are to Responsible Person and therefore responsible for complying with The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 which includes conducting a fire risk assessment.

Sorry about the link it is A Guide to Choosing a Competent Fire Risk Assessor