Escape Routes

Guest R Clayton

Guest R Clayton

I have a room that is accessed from a corridor, the corridor has access to a final exit but the travel distance is 25m, so would it be acceptable to have an alternative exit route through another room off the corridor which has access to a final escape.  This would limit the travel distance to 11m. 

I cannot give a definitive answer without knowing the type premises and an intimate knowledge of the premises. However I think it could be acceptable provided you separated the two escape routes by a cross corridor FD30s door, all  escape doors would need to be easily openable from the escape side and well signed. 

Guest R Clayton

Thanks Tom,

The room is a sensory room in a private nursery, the closest exit, if not taking the corridor route to the external door, is directly opposite the door to the room across the corridor and through a nursery room, which has an external door.  So I couldn't put an FD30 door between the Sensory room door and the nursery room door, but there is a door between the room doors and the final exit door on the corridor which could be an FD30.

If it is a FD30s door then it may be acceptable but as I have said you need a fire safety consultant  on site, because there are many things to consider and it cannot be dealt with fully over the internet.

Check out A Guide to Choosing a Competent Fire Risk Assessor