Entrance doors

Guest Alex

Hi Tom,

I hope you will be able to help me. I'm trying to find fire and H&S regulations on the entrance door to my flat. It's a converted house that currently has 2 self-contained flats - there is a front door into a communal hall with 2 doors - mine leads to the GFF and the neighbour's leads to the 1st floor flat via the stairs. Both doors open outside, i.e. into the communal hall. The neighbour says it's against fire regulations and doors should open into flats, but I can't find the regulations to check. Can you please help.

many thanks

There is no fire and H&S regulations that will give you a direct answer, it is likely you are subjected to The Housing Act 2004 and The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 which does require the RP,s to conduct a fire risk assessment(FRA) and the guidance for that FRA is the Lacors guide which should answer your inquiry.

It does appear the present situation is acceptable but check it out with Lacor,s guide.