Fire Door in unlicensed HMO

Guest RAHUL

Guest RAHUL

Hi,

I have recently purchased a 4 bed student property and am currently doing some refurbishment work . I would prefer to let it to a group of student ( single AST) , and in that case I believe it many not need firedoor as its low risk , but if I rent it room by room (multiple AST) then it may need to comply with FSO. It already has hardwired smoke detector on both floors.

I have attached the floor plan.

I wanted to know, which doors should be fire doors and will they need closer . Door 1 is the main entrance and door8 opens in Garden,  I was planning to remove door 3 and 6 completely .

floorplan_updated.jpg

floorplan_updated.jpg

You are correct that a shared house currently has less stringent requirements that a HMO (licensed or otherwise, but note the definition changes in October).

This guide applies: https://www.rla.org.uk/docs/LACORSFSguideApril62009.PDF

You appear to have the stairs going into a lounge as part of escape, this could cause issues (or should!).

• 1 month later...

but if I rent it room by room (multiple AST) then it may need to comply with FSO. It already has hardwired smoke detector on both floors.

Please be informed that the FSO applies to all HMOs regardless of whether it is a shared house HMO or a bedsit HMO or even the so-called s.257 (house converted to flats with no Building Completion Certificate). The fire safety law only applies to communal areas though. Importantly, it is irrelevant whether HMO requires a licences under the HA 2004 or not. FSO still applies. Do not forget to contact the LA's private sector housing and enquire about additional licensing schemes for HMOs. It appears that your HMO need not be licensed under the new mandatory licensing scheme (less than 5 people). However, it may fall under the additional licensing scheme provided that the they run the scheme. Some LAs run the schemes and some don't. The LA have to justify the introduction of the additional licensing. Furthermore, you might as well check with the LA that the bedrooms are of appropriate size for the new room size standard for HMO licenses. Good luck