Battery life warranty

Simon

Hello.

I'm pleased that good manufacturers offer a 5 year warranty on maintained LED lights. 3 years was a bit tight, 1 year a complete nonsense. 

However, I was under the impression that to gain BS 60598-2-22 2014 accreditation, the manufacturer also had to guarantee the batteries for 4 years, as long as they had been installed and tested correctly.

I have know found out that this is not the case. The 4 years only applies to the 'Design Life', not the warranty.

Please, what does that mean? I could make a cork-screw with a 'Design Life' of 30 years, and it snaps on the first cork. The cork-screw was used correctly, but it snapped. Is the warranty no longer valid because it is different to the 'Design Life'.

I'm confused...

Thanks, Simon

Hi Simon, not sure which suppliers you are referring to. Safelincs, for example, offers free extended 5 year warranty for non-maintained emergency lights. We also do not offer battery warranty for 5 years. We see this similar to smoke alarms, where the manufacturers offer eg a ten year warranty, even though the normal alkaline batteries have to be replace every year or two.

Harry