Loft conversion fire safety

Guest Amanda

Guest Amanda

I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of some accurate information i need about housing legislation re fire safety. I have a 2 story house with a loft conversion that opens up onto the upstairs landing, I wanted to change the layout so the bedroom is larger which would mean the loft which I plan to use as a study rather than a sleeping space would open into my bedroom. I've seen conflicting information about this on the internet, I just want to know the legality of this layout

You do not say where the premises are I will assume it is in England or Wales.

What you propose is a material alteration and will be subject to the Building Regulations which uses Approved Document B (fire safety) volume 1: Dwellinghouses as one of its guidance documents. Your proposal is creating an inner room situation which is only acceptable where the inner room has access to a emergency egress window which is not acceptable above 4.5 m and your new study would be above 4.5 m above the ground. I would suggest you contact your local building control and outline your proposals to them.