Fire safe wall paint?

Guest MikeW

Hi - a tenant of ours in a commercial office block has asked if their walls are painted in Fire Safe wall paint? I had not heard of such a requirement previously - is there any basis to this request? IE is there a requirement to paint office walls with Fire Safe paint?

Mike

It all depends on what walls are involved, if it is a circulation area then the wall needs to be class "O", if it is a large room it should be class 1, if a small room it should be a class 3, surface spread of flame.

To achieve these classifications it would depend on many things, what the wall or constructed of, which paints are to be used, how many coats on the wall, etc.

I would think emulsion or water based paints would be satisfactory, oil based paint would need some consideration. I would suggest you contact the manufacturer and seek advice from him and I am fairly certain fire resistant paints would not be required in most cases.