Blocked exit in gym

Guest Kerry

Hi. I own a gym which I am about to sell. In the centre of the gym is a fire exit leading through another part of the building to alternative escape routes. At each end of the gym are two further fire exits which lead directly outside.
The door in the centre is locked because it is a possible route into our gym which by-passes reception. However, directly in font of this door is a small storage space and further unlocked door.
A member of staff has overloaded this space with heavy person equipment and I have asked him to remove it. Am I right in thinking that eventhough this fire exit is not in use, it should still be accessible at all times?
Thanks
Kerry

It's either a fire exit or not - if it is it should be signed, clear of obstruction and easily openable (from the Gym side) without resort to a key or code.

If it isn't a required exit it can be obstructed, locked up like Fort Knox and should have signage renewed.