Extinguisher location in hair salon

Guest Oscar Pera

Guest Oscar Pera

Hello

I need to do a fire inspection for my hair salon.
I have all the emergency lights and fire alarm in place. I need some advice in where to put my fire extinguishers.

many thanks
Oskar

Are you a small premises or covering a number of floors, without a lot more information it is impossible to advise you and the company who supplied the fire extinguishers should be able to help. Some basic guidance would be,

Extinguishers should be available for immediate use at all times. Normally, extinguishers should be located:

a) in conspicuous positions on brackets, stands or cabinets;

b) where they will be readily seen by persons following an escape route;

c) most suitably, near to room exits, corridors, stairways, lobbies and landings;

d) in similar positions on each floor, where floors are of similar appearance;

In a small shop like premises there is usually a reception desk near the front door and locating in that area would most probably acceptable.

http://www.extinguisheradvice.org.uk/how-install-fire-extinguishers.php 

Edited by Tom Sutton

Are you a small premises or covering a number of floors, without a lot more information it is impossible to advise you and the company who supplied the fire extinguishers should be able to help. Some basic guidance would be,

Extinguishers should be available for immediate use at all times. Normally, extinguishers should be located:

a) in conspicuous positions on brackets, stands or cabinets;

b) where they will be readily seen by persons following an escape route;

c) most suitably, near to room exits, corridors, stairways, lobbies and landings;

d) in similar positions on each floor, where floors are of similar appearance;

In a small shop like premises there is usually a reception desk near the front door and locating in that area would most probably acceptable.

http://www.extinguisheradvice.org.uk/how-install-fire-extinguishers.php 

Also the type of extinguisher used is important. We cannot give you a definitive answer without seeing the premises but I would image that there are flammable liquids (peroxide and other chemicals) along with electrical items (hair dryers, etc.) and traditionally you would have a CO2 and water/foam combination installed.

The minimum A rating for a single storey premises (if your salon is a simple single rooms for working and a back room for staff as if often the case) is 2 x A rated fire extinguishers with a combined 26A rating. The CO2 does not have an A rating so you would end up with 3 extinguisher (1 x CO2 and 2 x water/foam).

A great alternative would be the water mist extinguishers as they are suitable for most classes of fire (the flammable liquids, electrical items, etc.) http://www.safelincs.co.uk/6-litre-water-mist-fire-extinguisher/

Two 6ltr water mist extinguishers would give the 26A rating and should cover the risks you have in the salon (it would still be advisable to have an extinguisher site survey to be sure as we can only advise without seeing the property).