Handheld torches in schools instead of emergency lighting

Guest MarkCor

We have just been asked to quote for an Electrical Condition report at a School in Nottingham. I visited the school to carry out a visual inspection of the Electrical Installation in order to issue an estimate for the testing.
The caretaker showed me round the premise's and I couldn't help but notice battery hand held torches on wall mounted brackets, I asked what these were for and was told they are the emergency lighting for all escape routes. We are not required to check or test this emergency lighting but feel concerned that torches replace proper emergency lighting. Is this acceptable and should there be a maintenance routine?
Regards

Mark

It is acceptable, depending on the circumstances, you need to check out the fire risk assessment but other than very small schools a full blown emergency escape lighting, if required is necessary and in most cases is. There is no maintenance routine other than testing and if any faults occur they should be dealt with immediately.