HMO with locked entrance

Guest JulieOrp

Guest JulieOrp

I live in a house split into 3 flats and share an entrance with one other flats. The front door is locked/shut by locking a mortise only which I believe is a hazard as this is the only exit for both flats. I have approached the landlord of the other flat (I own my flat) to get an additional Yale so we will not be locked in whilst at home but he is reluctant to spend money. Do I have any legal right to force this issue?

If the landlord is the owner he/she is subject to the The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 and is required to conduct a fire risk assessment (FRA). This includes the need for an adequate means of escape, if he/she is not prepared to provide this then I would contact the enforcing authority who is the local fire and rescue service and let them know you situation.

Check out http://www.firesafe.org.uk/uk-fire-rescue-services-details/

• 1 month later...

I own my flat in a converted Victorian house and sadly share a front door with the flat below which is tenanted. The door is the only exit in the event of a fire and I am very concerned as it can only be operated with a key. I have raised the issue with the landlord of the other flat as we should share the cost of replacing it with one that can be operated without a key on the inside. I have finally managed to speak to him after he has intentionally ignored my numerous attempts to communicate with him. He has confirmed receipt of my communications and has blatantly refused to share the cost of the locks. The present lock now on occasion gets stuck but this has made no difference as he is more concerned with money than my safety and that of his tenants. Is there anything I can do to force him to take action please.

The common areas are subject to The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 and article 22 require where two or more responsible persons share, or have duties in respect of, premises (whether on a temporary or a permanent basis) each such person must, co-operate with the other responsible person concerned so far as is necessary.

This could mean he is in contravention of the order therefore breaking the law, so you could contact the enforcing authority (the local fire and rescue service) and report him.

Check out http://www.firesafe.org.uk/uk-fire-rescue-services-details/