Still having to answer calls during drill

Guest Andrew

Guest Andrew

Hi ,who would i get assistance for breaches of fire drill as we have always been told we are not allowed to leave the building and continue to take calls through the fire drill..

Thanks

I am responsible for fire safety for a number of premises that simply cannot close down completely as their processes need to be run 24/7

During the planning of a fire drill, team leaders request exemptions from senior managers and such exemptions are only granted sparingly (say 40/50 persons in a building with an occupancy of 4,000+)

Those names exempted are recorded and managers are asked to rotate staff so they take part in the next drill. In the meanwhile, those exempted must take part in team fire briefings in lieu of missing the drill within 4 weeks

Fire drills are there to audit the effectiveness of procedures and test staff knowledge. They are not aimed at costing the business excessive amounts or closing down essential production, so I would argue exempting staff to answer phones is not a deal breaker

If it is a full evacuation drill then you should take part, if it is a fire alarm test you can carry on with your normal work just report any deficiencies you observe. The enforcing authority is the local fire and rescue service and you should contact them anonymously if necessary.

Check out http://www.firesafe.org.uk/uk-fire-rescue-services-details/