Can windows in student accommodation be restricted?

Guest Bria

Hi

I am currently living in a private student halls in Islington London, they have recently put restrictions on all windows allowing it to open only 100mm I was just wondering if this is legal as I feel it may be a fire safety hazard. We have also been informed if we remove them we will be fined £50.
Would appreciate any advice you can give me
Kind regards
Bria

Windows are not normally considered a means of escape from fire except in two storey domestic dwellings, in more substantial buildings a designed scheme is used which should ensure windows are not required. Without have a fully detailed description of the building I cannot say how effective the MoE would be. Purpose built student flats can be exempt from the The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005, however are subject to the Building Regulations which should ensure they are safe.

Guest Student Source

Hi Bria, the restrictors would have been fitted as a security and also health and safety measure, to prevent potential falls.

Windows would never be deemed the means of escape in any purpose built blocks of accommodation.