Jump to content

Can I break through between two rooms with passageway?

Guest Chamberlain

Recommended Posts

Guest Chamberlain

Can you please advise?
In an HMO property, there is one 'flat' that currently consist of two rooms. They are separated by what seems to me to be a wasted space of passageway, the area of which would be invaluable to add to what is a smallish room. To accommodate the Fire Regs (I hope), if I were to remove the stud wall and door between the rooms, I would have created a large single L-shaped room.
The gap separating the two rooms, allowing the access between them, would be some 2 metres.
Would this situation, in your opinion, comply with UK Fire Regs please?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The inside of a flat is exempt from The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 only the common areas are subject, but you are subject to the Housing Act and Building Regulations. You should contact the local Housing Department and the Building Control Department to ascertain the necessary action you should take. The relative guidance is www.cieh.org/uploadedFiles/Core/Policy/Publications_and_information_services/Policy_publications/Publications/National_fire_safety_guidance_08.pdf and Approved Document Part B Fire Safety.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...