Exit lights disturb performance

Guest ArthurSmit

Guest ArthurSmit

Dear Sirs I am A Chairman of a local Camera club meeting in a community centre, we often have projected images on a screen, regretfully the light illuminating from the Fire exit Signs ruins the view of the images, it has been suggested that the signs could be covered up, I am dead against this as I know it contravenes health and safety legislation, I have searched you site and others to back me up on this but can not find anything to back me up in my argument, can you help me with my argument.

Article 14 of The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 states,

(g) emergency routes and exits must be indicated by signs; and

(h) emergency routes and exits requiring illumination must be provided with emergency lighting of adequate intensity in the case of failure of their normal lighting.

You are required to provide EXIT signs and illuminate them, failure of the normal lighting because there is fault or you have switch it off means you are in breach of the above order if they are not illuminated by emergency escape lighting during the time the premises is occupied.