Fire protection when converting bedroom into kitchen

Guest DavidFo

Guest DavidFo

Hello
I am converting my (newish brick -dry lined, construction, terraced)house into two flats. Part of that involves converting one bedroom into a kitchen. Can you advise on any special safety issues or restrictions I need to know about please
Many thanks
David

It depends on the layout you should never have to go though a kitchen to reach the escape route. If the kitchen is likely to threaten the escape route it should be enclosed to a 30 minute fire resisting standard. You will be subject to Building Regulations and Approve Document B (Fire Safety) vol 2 is one of the Approve Documents you need to be familiar with.

Competent advice at the early stages will pay you back, worst case scenario is that you proceed & then refused the appropriate certification from building control as your design does not comply, a competent architect will be able to design to comply with building regulations, note I use the word "competent", I have been to many places where the architect or designer has not understood building regulations.

a lot of smaller architects tend to have an approach where they design & then see if building control objects or what amendments are required, this is not how it should be done.